Centralized specialty care for the most complex cardiovascular conditions
Opened in July 2016 on the campus of MedStar Washington Hospital Center, the Nancy and Harold Zirkin Heart & Vascular Hospital ushered in a new model of care for patients throughout Washington, D.C., and the mid-Atlantic region.
The four-story, 160,000-square-foot facility unites virtually the entire heart and vascular care delivery staff—cardiologists, cardiac and vascular surgeons, nurse practitioners, cardiac care nurses, and other specialized caregivers—into one cohesive team in one location for more effective, streamlined care. Patients with similar medical conditions are cared for in designated specialty-care units to achieve the best patient outcomes.
The facility positions MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute, already one of the busiest cardiac surgical centers in the United States, for continued accomplishments in the years ahead.
The Nancy and Harold Zirkin Heart & Vascular Hospital was named to recognize longtime Washingtonians Nancy and Harold Zirkin for their generosity and extraordinary philanthropic support of the heart and vascular hospital. Their $10 million leadership gift was the largest single contribution in the history of MedStar Health.
What’s inside the Nancy and Harold Zirkin Heart & Vascular Hospital
Every aspect of the new hospital was designed with patients’ comfort, convenience and safety in mind. From admission to discharge, all aspects of the new hospital-within-a-hospital help promote that goal:
- Outpatient clinic area that includes offices for cardiologists and surgeons and an enlarged echocardiology lab
- Expanded 54-bed cardiovascular intensive care unit, combining cardio recovery, coronary critical care and surgical intensive care into one
- Central booms suspended from the ceilings in ICU rooms for medical gases and electrical and data outlets, providing clinicians unrestricted access to the patient from all four sides of the bed
- A total of 164 rooms, most of them private, furnished with couches and other amenities to increase the comfort and satisfaction of patients and their families
- Echocardiography, X-ray, stress tests and other noninvasive services on each patient floor for faster, more convenient examinations and evaluations
MedStar celebrates opening of Zirkin Heart & Vascular Hospital
“Leading the evolution of cardiovascular care” Capabilities, Performance, Outcomes: 2020-2021
Discover how our commitment to teamwork, transparency, and innovation leads to the best possible results for our patients.