Proven excellence in heart and vascular care
For more than six decades, residents of the mid-Atlantic region have turned to our doctors for the most advanced heart and vascular care. We are proud of our reputation for excellence and continue to strive to provide the highest quality care and latest research for every patient who comes through our doors. Below are some of the highlights of our long history of heart and vascular care in the region. To read more about the “firsts” at our founding hospital, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, click on the image to the right.
- Early 1960s: We opened our first heart care unit and launched the D.C. area’s first Code Blue system for critical heart patients
- 1987: Our doctors introduced heart transplants to the region, and we’ve performed hundreds of these challenging procedures since
- 1988: The hospital now known as MedStar Washington Hospital Center became one of the first four centers in the world to implant a ventricular assist device–a profound step forward that has paved the way for amazing technology, including today’s lifesaving left ventricular assist devices (LVADs)
- 2007-present: Our doctors have been involved in every major clinical study of transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), a huge contribution to the treatment of structural heart and valve disease
- 2013: We forged a unique clinical and research alliance with the nation’s No. 1 heart program, the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute
- 2015-present: After having participated in eight years of testing in multiple clinical trials, our doctors are the most experienced in the mid-Atlantic region with the WATCHMAN™ device for patients with atrial fibrillation (AFib)
We are proud of our accomplishments, but our main goal remains the same: to provide our region with the most advanced, high-quality cardiovascular care available.
“Leading the evolution of cardiovascular care” Capabilities, Performance, Outcomes: 2020-2021
Discover how our commitment to teamwork, transparency, and innovation leads to the best possible results for our patients.