As a national leader in the research, diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease, we have been the premier destination for heart care in the region for more than 60 years. With more than 170 physician specialists across 10 MedStar Health hospitals as well as physicians’ offices throughout the greater Washington, D.C., area and Central Maryland, patients have access to the most advanced care available close to where they live and work.
What sets us apart
- Highest volumes: We’re one of the busiest heart programs in the nation. Each year, our doctors perform more than 2,300 heart surgeries, 5,000 electrophysiology procedures and 12,000 cardiac catheterizations—more than any other heart center in the area.
- Unique alliances: In 2013, we entered into a unique, first-of-its-kind alliance with Cleveland Clinic, the No. 1 heart program in the nation. The result is enhanced access to innovative cardiovascular care and research throughout the mid-Atlantic.
- Extensive research: At any given time, we also have 120 clinical research studies underway through our research arm, MedStar Cardiovascular Research Network.
- Advanced cardiovascular programs: Our physicians treat patients with all types of heart and vascular conditions, with an emphasis on diagnosis and treatment of even the most advanced and complex conditions. Learn more about our cardiovascular programs.
- State-of-the-art facilities: We’ve designed and built specialized facilities such as the Zirkin Heart Hospital, Radial Recovery Lounge and minimally invasive vascular surgery suite to deliver the highest-quality cardiovascular care and achieve the best patient outcomes.
- 24/7 emergency transport: Through MedSTAR Rapid Transport, we have the region’s only 24/7 emergency transport team. Our fleet of helicopters and ambulances backed by an on-site cardiac treatment team is available when every minute matters.
“Moving Cardiovascular Care Forward” Capabilities, Performance, Outcomes: 2019-2020
Discover how our commitment to teamwork, transparency, and innovation leads to the best possible results for our patients.