For Patients: 202-877-DOCS (3627) | For Physicians: 202-877-7777
Team approach to cardiac careThere are many different aspects to consider when treating patients with cardiac disease. Our cardiac surgeons work in teams with other cardiac experts, including cardiac imaging specialists, interventional cardiologists, pulmonologists, radiologists and nurses to complete the entire picture for each patient. We are committed to a team approach to care.
The advantage of experience in cardiac surgeryWe are one of the highest volume cardiac surgery centers in the Washington metropolitan area. Volume and experience also translate into best practices based on outcomes. Our entire team sees a large number of patients per year. We continually refine surgical techniques, so you receive the least invasive surgical option that will also bring the best long-term results.
Cardiac surgery database for better patient careWe have compiled a cardiac surgery database containing data on more than 60,000 cases from the past 30 years. This unique resource helps us continually improve patient care. It gives our physicians a direct window on the practices and approaches that produce the most successful outcomes for our patients. Few cardiac centers have anything like it.
Sophisticated communication and electronic medical recordsOur sophisticated information management and communications capabilities are powerful resources for integrating MedStar Heart Institute services and locations, from enabling real-time sharing of patient images and data to supporting electronic medical records. This means you can receive advanced cardiac care no matter your location-at one of our sister hospitals, or at one of our satellite locations. If you are looking for experienced heart surgeons with advanced surgical expertise, who treat large numbers of patients every year, you have come to the right place. Our heart surgeons treat complex heart conditions using a variety of techniques—including minimally invasive surgery—with outstanding outcomes. They also work as part of a larger team of heart specialists to provide patient-focused care both before and after surgery.
Advanced heart surgical care in Washington, D.C.Our history of innovation and research is not the only reason you should choose us for your heart surgery. Consider these facts:
- The Society for Thoracic Surgeons awarded us three stars, its highest rating, based on quality and outcomes.
- Nearly half of our CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft) procedures are performed off-pump (without using a heart and lung machine), which speeds recovery and reduces bleeding, neurologic impairment and other complications.
- We are the only hospital in the Washington, D.C., region to offer the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), a minimally invasive procedure performed for severe aortic stenosis.
- Our doctors and researchers have a database of more than 60,000 cardiac surgical cases from the past 30 years. This rich data helps us continually improve patient care.
- Our patients have access to clinical trials in better methods to prevent and treat cardiac and vascular disease.
Cardiac surgical servicesWe offer the following surgical services for the treatment of heart conditions:
- Aortic dissection repair
- CABG surgery
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs)
- Heart transplants
- Heart valve repairs and replacements
Heart conditions we treatWe offer the above heart surgeries for treatment of:
- Heart valve disease
- Aortic disease
- Advanced heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Structural heart conditions
If you are a patient, call our referral and appointment line: 202-877-DOCS (3627)
If you are a physician, call our consultation line: 202-877-7777