When it comes to heart failure, the doctors at our MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute are known for their innovation. They performed D.C.’s first heart transplant and implanted the country’s first HeartWare left ventricular assist device (LVAD).
We continue to improve these surgeries, and our Advanced Heart Failure Program remains one of the nation’s busiest for LVAD — giving our surgeons unmatched experience. We also offer medications not widely available, leading clinical trials and a unique team effort that provides the support you and your family need.
Why Choose MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute for Advanced Heart Failure Treatment
More serious cases of heart failure call for special treatment. Our Advanced Heart Failure Program at the MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute offers you:
- Ventricular assist devices: Our program implants both short-term ventricular assist devices (VADs) and long-term, durable VADs. We are among the busiest centers in the United States for this procedure. Learn more about our left ventricular assist devices (LVAD).
- Heart transplants: Our dedicated transplant team brings together specialists to direct and coordinate your care throughout the transplant journey. We performed the area’s first heart transplant, in 1987. Learn more about our heart transplants.
- Specialized medications: Inotropes are strong medications designed to treat advanced heart failure. Sending patients home on these medications is only done at select programs like ours. Such programs have expert doctors specializing in treating advanced heart failure.
- Clinical research: We pioneered many advanced heart failure treatments, including the use of VADs. We continue to take part in state-of-the-art clinical studies to improve heart failure care. Our doctors often design and lead these trials, giving our patients potential early access to emerging, promising therapies. Learn more about our leading research.
Advanced Heart Failure Care at MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute
Our advanced heart failure care stands apart for several reasons:
- Leading doctors: The success of our advanced heart failure program hinges on top cardiologists and the expertise and experience of our surgeons. One of our cardiac surgeons, Steven Boyce, MD, helped design one of the first third-generation, continuous-flow LVAD devices and is pioneering new surgical techniques to implant them. All of our cardiologists are board-certified in Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology, a new subspecialty of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Team approach: Drawing on the resources of our extensive medical system, we bring together clinical and non-clinical experts to deliver the care you need.
- Clinical teaching: We are among the select group of U.S. programs officially accredited to train the next generation of cardiologists who want to specialize in advanced heart failure and transplantation.
- Patient support program: Our unique program brings together a large group of experts from many disciplines to participate in your medical care and help you maximize your quality of life. These include a variety of doctors, care coordinators, social workers, financial counselors, physical therapists and other specialists who collaborate on your care. Learn more about our Patient Support Program.
- Other services: In addition to all aspects of advanced heart failure care, MedStar’s Heart & Vascular Institute provides state-of-the-art surgical intensive care and other crucial services. Learn more about our:
- Diagnosis and diagnostic procedures, including sophisticated heart imaging such as cardiac MRI and high-resolution cardiac CT
- Electrophysiology lab, for implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) and cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT)
- Cardiac catheterization lab, for minimally invasive percutaneous valve repair or replacement
- Cardiac rehabilitation
Advanced heart failure requires careful monitoring and close follow-up. Our team partners with you and your regular cardiologist to manage and treat your heart failure while helping you maximize your quality of life.
Learn more about:
- Heart failure
- Advanced heart failure
- Left ventricular assist devices (LVAD)
- Heart transplant
- Our Patient Support Program
Advanced Heart Failure Treatment in D.C. and Baltimore
The MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute is the largest heart care system in the mid-Atlantic, with acute care hospitals, clinics and cardiology practices throughout D.C., Maryland and Northern Virginia. Find one of our locations.
Inpatient services are currently available at:
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Washington, D.C.