Advanced treatments for electrical conditions of the heart
Need to Find a Doctor?
Choose an expert who is part of our Electrophysiology Program.
We’ve cared for patients with arrhythmias since we opened the region’s first center dedicated to these conditions in 1985. Today, we provide unrivaled care for even the most challenging cases.
Our Electrophysiology program is the leading referral program in the region. The doctors are internationally recognized for their research and are involved with clinical trials that test the next generation of treatments.
We have more experience than any other center in the mid-Atlantic region in using the WATCHMAN™ device for reducing the risk of stroke related to atrial fibrillation (AFib), and we’re a national leader in the use of intense cold (cryoablation) to treat AFib. And our Comprehensive Atrial Fibrillation Management Program and Complex Arrhythmia Program provide even more specialized care for patients.
We perform more than 5,000 procedures per year to treat AFib and many other conditions, including:
Patients have access to a range of treatments for these conditions, such as:
- Cardiac ablation, or using heat or cold to create scar tissue on the heart, including techniques specifically for AFib
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT)
- Electrical cardioversion, which shocks the heart with electrical energy to restore a normal rhythm
- Left atrial appendage closure, a minimally invasive procedure to reduce the risk of stroke in people with AFib
- Placement of devices to control heart rhythm, such as implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) and pacemakers