MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute at a Glance
As a national leader in the research, diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease, we’ve been the premier destination for heart care in the region for more than 60 years. Today, we offer access to:
- 170 cardiovascular specialists with offices at 10 MedStar Health hospitals and numerous ambulatory centers and office buildings throughout the greater Washington, D.C., area and Central Maryland regions.
- Expertise in all heart and vascular conditions, with an emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of even the most complex cases.
- The MedStar Cardiovascular Research Network, which manages a wide range of regional and national clinical trials. Our physicians often are the first in the region or nation to use new technology and procedures. For example, we were leaders in the development and application of such advances as left ventricular assist devices (LVAD), transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and the WATCHMAN™ device.
Volumes: MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute is one of the busiest heart programs in the nation. Each year, our doctors perform more than 2,300 heart surgeries, 5,000 electrophysiology procedures and 12,000 cardiac catheterizations—more than any other heart center in the area.
Cleveland Clinic alliance: In 2013, we entered into a unique, first-of-its-kind alliance with Cleveland Clinic, the No. 1 heart program in the nation. This alliance has created a symbiosis between two of the largest cardiovascular programs in the United States. Our clinicians, working closely with quality and safety experts, evaluate treatment protocols, validate and report outcomes, and compare performance to national benchmarks. The alliance has led to a a valued collaborative approach to improve care and enhance research.
Teaching programs: MedStar Health is the 11th largest Graduate Medical Education (GME) program in the United States, and the Cardiovascular GME is a regional program with 28 fellows rotating through multiple settings as part of six subspecialty fellowships. 96 percent of fellows give their programs the highest possible rating.
Continuing medical education: MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute offers a rich continuing education program of in-house weekly rounds, and conferences open to cardiovascular specialists across the region and nation. In addition, the institute sponsors the annual CRT Conference, which attracts an international audience of thousands each year, and holds annual conferences on such topics as cardiac arrhythmias, cardio-oncology, adult congenital heart disease, aortic disease, vascular diseases, and primary care cardiology.
24/7 emergency transport: We have the only 24/7 emergency transport team with a fleet of helicopters and ambulances backed by an on-site cardiac treatment team at MedStar Washington Hospital Center.
Accreditations and awards
- In 2017, the Society of Thoracic Surgeons recognized our cardiac surgery program with its highest quality rating of three stars for the seventh year in a row.
- The heart program at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only one in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area to be ranked nationally (top 50) by U.S. News & World Report.
- The Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) program at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only Joint Commission-accredited VAD program in the region.