Cardiac rehabilitation is an important step in your recovery from heart disease, and our programs—monitored by exercise physiologist, physical therapists, and a physician—ensure that you exercise safely, without placing excessive stress on your heart.
All MedStar Health cardiac rehabilitation programs are certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
To join MedStar Health’s cardiac rehabilitation program, you must:
- Get a referral from your doctor
- Undergo a post-event/procedure exercise stress test (unless your doctor indicates otherwise)
- Once you begin the program, you will:
- Talk to the physician, who will ask you about your medical history and review the results of your stress tests
- Complete a six-minute walk test around a track, while your cardiac rehabilitation team monitors your heart rate and electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Receive your individual exercise prescription, which our team develops for you
We use the information obtained at the start of the program to create a personalized exercise program for you. We will evaluate your prescription throughout the program, so you can continue to progress appropriately toward recovery and independent fitness activities.
Our staff will teach you how the machines work and how to use them. We encourage you to attend the program for one hour of exercise training three times per week. The exact number of supervised exercise sessions depends on your individual needs as well as your insurance coverage. We will help you determine your benefits before you begin the program.
Communication with Your Cardiologist
Our physician and staff communicate closely with your cardiologist and your referring physician while you are a part of our program. We will notify them if there are any concerns about your heart rate and blood pressure, and if there is a reason to adjust your medication or if there are any other medical concerns.
Heart Health Education
In addition to exercise training, our program staff will provide you with educational information about various risk factors and lifestyle issues related to heart disease.
You may want to attend MedStar Washington Hospital Center's Wellness Program because you:
- Want to exercise in a medically supervised environment due to uncontrolled blood pressure or other medical conditions
- Have recently completed our cardiac rehabilitation program
- Want to be active, but feel more comfortable with a supervised program
We create a personalized exercise program that is right for you. Our staff includes an exercise physiologist and physical therapists who will supervise you while you exercise and check your blood pressure and heart rate. They will also guide you while you work out on the various machines.
Please note: The Wellness Program is a self-pay program, and is not covered by health insurance.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
125 Michigan Avenue, NE
7:30 – 11:30 a.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
125 Michigan Avenue, NE
7:30 – 10:30 a.m., Wednesday and Friday
In addition to any cardiac services, your heart may require inpatient rehabilitation. MedStar National Rehabilitation Network's cardiac rehabilitation program is designed for patients who need assistance in getting back to their former level of physical endurance and self-sufficiency after an acute care stay for medical and/or surgical treatment of cardiac disease.
- Therapy in our cardiac gym five days a week
- Specialized EKG-monitored exercise therapy under the supervision of doctors, nurses, and an exercise physiologist
- Heart function and rhythm monitoring as patient’s move through a series of progressively more-intense activities
- Therapy sessions that address bathing, dressing, walking, using stairs, and getting out of bed
- Education on ways to prevent the progression of heart disease and manage the psychological impact on health
- Weekly cardiac support group
Sandeep Simlote, MD, clinical director, Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Cynthia McDonald, RN, co-clinical director, Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Before discharging a patient, our team will recommend services that will ease a patient’s transition to the next level of care. This might include outpatient services, skilled nursing facilities, or home care through the MedStar Visiting Nurse Association. Our job is to build a roadmap for your recovery — and to support you along the journey as you rebuild your life.
MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital
102 Irving Street, NW
Washington, DC 20010
For more information about Cardiac Rehabilitation at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital, please call 202-877-1152.