Cardio-Oncology Program at MHVIAt the MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute (MHVI) Cardio-Oncology Program, our physicians are cardiologists who use advanced imaging to diagnose and evaluate a patient’s risk of developing a heart condition due to certain types of cancer treatments. Our cardiologists also treat patients who are undergoing cancer treatment, but have developed heart conditions, in the hope of protecting their heart function as much as possible. Certain cancer drugs can weaken the heart or cause abnormal rhythms. We designed our Cardio-Oncology Program to provide cancer patients with excellent, multidisciplinary care. We combine advanced imaging and treatment protocols with a knowledgeable team of oncologists and cardiologists working together.
Goals of our Cardio-Oncology ProgramOur cardiologists have developed a comprehensive program that aims to:
- Ensure better outcomes for patients with cancer and cardiac issues
- Provide earlier detection of cardiac toxic side effects from cancer treatments
- Prevent or reduce further cardiac damage—and when possible reverse it
- Monitor patients with potential cardiac issues who are receiving cancer treatments
- Better understand cardiac issues in patients with cancer by participating in research studies
- Eliminate cardiac disease as a barrier to effective cancer therapy
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 888-354-3422.