Atrial fibrillation, or AFib, is the most common type of cardiac arrhythmia. It causes your heart to beat irregularly and increases your risk of blood clots, stroke and other heart-related complications. Learn more about atrial fibrillation.
Heart Rhythm Treatment
Our heart rhythm experts (electrophysiologists) at MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute’s Center for Comprehensive Atrial Fibrillation Management are nationally sought after to treat all forms of AFib—from routine cases to the most complex. Meet our doctors.
Some of our team’s pioneering achievements include being the first in the Washington metropolitan region to apply cutting-edge technologies to patients with AFib. These include:
- WATCHMAN™ Device
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD)
- Cryoballoon ablation
- Convergent AFib ablation
Why Choose MedStar for A-fib Management
Our doctors are leading the way in researching and implementing new treatments for A-fib. At the Center for Comprehensive Atrial Fibrillation Management you benefit from:
- Unsurpassed expertise: Our doctors have pioneered many heart treatments. We were the first in the region to offer new A-fib treatments, such as the WATCHMAN™ Device.
- Comprehensive care: We provide a full spectrum of A-fib management—from diagnosis to individualized treatment plans. We also provide ongoing stroke prevention support and follow-up care for implantable devices like pacemakers.
- Team approach: Our heart rhythm experts and cardiac surgeons work collaboratively to tailor individualized treatment plans that take into account your unique conditions and needs.
- Clinical Research: Our team leads the way in clinical research to remedy heart arrhythmias like A-fib. Our doctors design and lead multiple research trials, giving patients early access to cutting-edge therapies.
- Convenience: Our electrophysiology (EP) program is the largest in the Washington metropolitan region. We make it easy to get the care you need with 10 outpatient clinics located throughout the mid-Atlantic region.
Diagnosis and Treatment of A-fib
Our experts test the electrical activity of your heart in our dedicated EP labs. Highly-specialized equipment enables our team of experts to accurately diagnose your condition. Learn more about A-fib treatment options at MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute.
Comprehensive A-fib Management
The Institute is part of large network. Many of our services can be obtained at our locations throughout the mid-Atlantic region. Inpatient services are currently available at: